The mold for these herring was made for our production of 'The 39 Steps', by our clever and hilarious intern, Jess Smith, with guidance from yours truly.
|Intern shown actual size.|
|Here you can see the first half of the mold and the clay dam that has been removed.|
|See the registration trough/ridge?|
The next step was to pour the castings. We used pigmented hot pour vinyl to do this (see last weeks post here). After securing the mold halves together, Jess heated the vinyl until it melted, and poured it into the mold. The vinyl itself isn't sticky when it's dry, so no release agent was needed. Then, once the vinyl had cooled, we popped it out of the mold, trimmed the sprue from the pour spout and painted the fishies silver with acrylic paint. We did try to brush silver bronzing powder into the mold before casting, and while it looked good, the powder came off on our hands too easily when handling the herring- so we went with the paint instead.
The best thing about these fishies is their floppy quality.